Choosing a Cocktail Dress to Flatter Your Plus-Size Figure
Many times, plus-size women choose to just stay home in their pajamas instead of venturing out for a night of fun and relaxation. However, it really doesn’t have to be that way! There are so many great cocktail dress options for the beautiful and confident plus-size woman. Even if you don’t have the confidence, these dresses will give you the confidence you need to go out and enjoy yourself.
You’ve got a special night out in the works – but when you look in your closet, there’s simply nothing that will work. You start to panic, but there’s no reason to! A cocktail dress will do the trick! You can find lots of different colors and styles of cocktail dresses that will suit women of all shapes and sizes. The right cocktail dress will not only flatter your beautiful plus-size figure and make everyone jealous, it will also give you a major confidence boost. So, how can you be sure you’re choosing the right dress?
Things You’re Going to Need
- Great accessories
- Fitted undergarments
Tips to Choose the Perfect Dress
- Think about which of your wonderful features you want to bring attention to. Perhaps you have great legs – you’ll want to choose a dress that hits just above your knee, like this pique dress from eloquii. Maybe you have a really nice collarbone – a v-neck cut dress, like this Ulla Popken Diamond Lights Sparkle Dress Set will bring attention to this area. If you have narrow wrists, you’ll want to choose a dress that features three-quarter length sleeves, like this Ulla Popken Perfect Delight Sparkle Jacket Dress Set. When considering your wonderful features, you’ll want to also consider those areas that you see as problem areas and you’ll want to make sure the dress you choose brings attention away from those.
- Consider where you’re planning on wearing your new cocktail dress. Chances are, if you’re purchasing a cocktail dress, you have an event in mind. Think about where you’re going. Are you going to an office party or a wedding? Keep in mind that the more formal the event you’re attending, the less skin you’re going to want to reveal. For example, while this Ulla Popken Chic Cascade Layered Dress and Shawl Set would be great for an office party, you may want to choose something more like this Ulla Popken Midnight Garden Beaded Jacket Dress for your best friend’s evening wedding. In order to get the most bang for your buck, you’ll want to choose a style that is classic and conservative. These will work well no matter what the occasion.
- Of course, no matter what you’re wearing, the most important thing is your foundation garments. You don’t want to be at your party or event and your bra strap end up popping out or maybe bulges showing because you don’t have on the proper undergarments. When you’re wearing a strapless piece, like this ELOQUII Plus Size Studio Sweetheart Neckline Jumpsuit, you’ll want to make sure that you choose a strapless bra to wear. On the other hand, if you’re wearing a more form-fitting piece like this ELOQUII Plus Size Studio Petal Neckline Gown, you’ll want to wear a body suit. After all, anything that skims your body requires a slimming foundation garment.
- When choosing the perfect dress, consider the style. An A-line skirt is perfect for all plus-size women. On the other hand, an empire waist dress like this ELOQUII Plus Size Faux Leather and Tulle Dress from eloquii will bring attention to your slimmest body part. A halter dress will draw attention to the upper part of your body and bring attention to your beautiful face.
- When picking out a cocktail dress, keep in mind the importance of the fabrics. A dress made of flowing fabrics like this Ulla Popken Perfect Delight Sparkle Jacket Dress Set that will drape around the body will be better for curvier girls. However, you’ll want to stay away from the stiff fabrics. Still, a fitted bodice can be very flattering, as long as the skirt is fuller, like this ELOQUII Plus Size Studio Mix Tiered Dress.
- You’ve probably already been told this, but your accessories will complete your look. Choose one bold statement piece such as a great pair of earrings or even a bold clutch. Your accessories can also serve to draw attention to your problem areas or your best features. Therefore, it is very important that you choose them carefully. For example, if you have a wide face, you’ll want to avoid attention-grabbing earrings or choker. Make sure that you always keep your necklaces very small and simple. This will draw eyes away from your bust.
Final Tips for Choosing a Cocktail Dress
Keep in mind that a really awesome pair of heels will be the most important accessory you wear with your new cocktail dress. Classic black is a great choice. After all, you can’t go wrong – they will go with everything! On the other hand, if you want to elongate your legs, you could always choose a pair in a nude color.
Consider adding a pop of color to a basic black or navy dress with a great clutch bag – or, if you’re not feeling quite so adventurous, choose a coordinating color.
Unfortunately, too many times, a plus-size woman will turn down invitations to go out, but with so many great options for beautiful cocktail dresses, you can step out in confidence. Remember that no matter what the occasion or what your body style, you can find lots of great plus-size dresses from sites such as Eloquii or Ulla Popken.